9 Facts about Paris Fashion Week
October, 2008. Paris Fashion Week was in full swing. My husband and I arrived on Friday morning and the show started 11.00 AM in the Carrousel du Louvre. A big happening. It was a dream that I could be there. That I could see this with my own eyes. It is something that I will never forget.
Tomorrow , this wonderful happening will start again, so let me share the 9 facts about Paris Fashion Week.
- Paris Fashion Week is part of the global “Big 4” fashion weeks: Milan, London, New York. These Fashion Weeks begins with New York, followed by London and then Milan and ends in Paris.
2. The term “haute couture” is protected in France. A few fashion houses can claim to “have” Haute Couture and it is only allowed to shown in Paris.
3. Fashion Week didn’t start in Paris. It is originated in New York City and the first Fashion Week took place in the early 40s.
4. The first recognized Paris Fashion Week was held in 1973. Everything was organized by the Fédération Française de la Couture at once: Haute Couture, Ready-to-Wear and Men’s Fashion. Nowadays the shows are more spread over the months.
5. The official French name for Paris Fashion Week is Semaine des Createurs du Mode
6. Each city has its own “recognition” in the fashion styles during Fashion Week. New York is known of its sportswear, London for the avant-garde designs, Milan is more “over the top” stylish looks and Paris for Haute Couture.
7. During Paris Fashion Week, there are about a 100 shows in total from the top fashion houses to lesser-known names.
8. You can’t buy a tickets to see the shows. You are allowed to attend the show (s) only with an invitation.
9. Designers aren’t the only creative stars of Paris fashion week. Most of the big fashion houses (Louis Vuitton, Lanvin, Chanel, etc) build new, elaborate runway sets each season. The amount of construction, time and impressive vision that goes into the sets is staggering.
Impression of my first Paris Fashion Week
My apologies for the bad quality of the photos.
@Photo header: <a href=’http://nl.123rf.com/profile_martinkay78′>martinkay78 / 123RF Stockfoto</a>