10 Writing Rituals
Now I am busy writing and finishing my second book, I’d love to share my 10 writing rituals with you. Famous authors like Fitzgerald (“He wrote from 1 p.m. to midnight on Saturdays and 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays”) and Hemingway (“He wrote every morning”) had also writing rituals and I think it is very interesting to know which writing rituals other authors have.
My writing rituals
- I always listen to music during my writing. Jazz, pop, chansons….it depends on which part in my book I am writing.
- My writing routine starts in the morning after having my breakfast.
- Breakfast is my most important meal of the day, so I take the time to enjoy it.
- During writing, I drink always (herbal) tea.
- Before I start writing, I re-read the last chapter, to get in the story again.
- When I feel that I have a writer’s block, I close the laptop and go for a walk, or making photos or spend hours on Pinterest, looking for inspiration
- I never write during the night, like other authors mostly do. Reason? My alarm is set on 5.45 am!
- My notebook, pen, tea and photos are my most important writing essentials.
- The dinner table is my writing space. I have an office at the first floor, but when I sit on the dinner table, I have a nice view of the garden..
- Last but not least: writing is something very important for me, so I really ENJOY the process of starting and finishing a book!
Do you have writing rituals?